4 tbsp unsalted butter
38g SIS Fine Grain Sugar
113g bittersweet baking chocolate bar, chopped
360ml whole milk
3 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon SIS Icing Sugar, for dusting
15g unsalted butter
16g 38g SIS Fine Grain Sugar
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and place over a mixing bowl with unsalted butter and chocolate over or bain-marie method until completely melted. Set aside to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt into the chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Whisk egg white and cream of tartar with an electric hand whisk on medium speed until foamy and soft peaks are formed. Slowly add in sugar at intervals until stiff peaks are formed.
- Gently add half of the egg white into the chocolate mixture, and gently fold using a spatula. Be careful not to deflate the bubbles.
- Add the egg white-chocolate mixture back to the remaining egg white until well combined.
- Refrigerate the batter for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 200°C.
- Prepare the ramekins. Coat the inside of ramekins with butter and later SIS Fine Grain Sugar, shake and rotate to ensure evenly coated and place them on the baking tray. Discard any excess sugar.
- Use a large spoon to fill the ramekins with the batter, and smooth the surface, leaving about 5mm from the rim. Wipe off any excess coating of butter and sugar.
- Bake in the oven for about 13-14 minutes, or until the edges are set and the centre just jiggles when you give the baking tray a light tap.
- Remove from the oven and dust with SIS Icing Sugar or top with Whipped Cream before serving.