Recipe shared by @limjenjen
2 pcs SIS Coconut Sugar Cubes, chopped
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil, and ½ tbsp for greasing the cupcake moulds
1 cup wholemeal (unbleached) flour
2 eggs, separated
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
150ml low-fat Greek yoghurt, and extra to serve
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
Coconut Sugar Lemon Syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice
6pcs SIS Coconut Sugar Cubes, chopped
2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the cupcake moulds and set them aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add oil and coconut sugar, 2 tbsp of the flour and beat with an electric hand until combined. Add egg yolk one at a time, whisk in between.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients and half of the yoghurt and lemon juice into the mixing bowl, whisk the mixture into a smooth batter. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and beat whisk until a stiff batter forms.
- In a clean dry bowl, use an electric hand mixer at high speed to whisk beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold half of the egg white mixture into the batter and repeat with the remaining egg white. Careful not to over mix the batter with the egg whites.
- Scoop the batter into moulds, each around 3/4 the height of the mould.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into each cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire tray to cool.
- For the Coconut Sugar lemon syrup, add the lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut sugar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the coconut sugar cubes dissolve into a thickened brown syrup. Taste and adjust the syrup sweetness to your preference, add more coconut sugar for more sweetness.
- To serve, pour the syrup over each cupcake, and top up with a dollop of yoghurt.