400g SIS Fine Grain Sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp orange blossom or rose water
340g unsalted pistachios, additional for garnish
255g ghee, melted (or 340g unsalted butter)
1 package phyllo dough (500g), thin, thawed 1 hour before preparation
- To make sugar syrup. In a medium saucepan, combine SIS Fine Grain Sugar, water and lemon juice. Set on the stovetop over high heat. Avoid stirring as it heats to prevent crystallization from happening.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes. The syrup will thicken and have a consistency like corn syrup.
- Remove from heat and add orange blossom water or rose water. Transfer to a liquid measuring cup with a spout or gravy boat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Assemble baklava. Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Pulse pistachios in a food processor until finely chopped, transfer to a bowl.
- Unwrap and unfold phyllo dough on a large chopping board and smooth out and flatten with hand. Using the pan as a guide, cut the excess to fit phllyo dough perfectly into the pan.
- Grease a baking pan with ghee or butter. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough in the greased baking pan, brush with ghee until completely coated and repeat with 6 layers more sheets. Add 1 cup of ground pistachios and spread evenly.
- Add 7 more layers of phyllo and add 1 cup of pistachio, repeat the same process 3 times.
- Press out any air pockets using the palm of your hands, working from the centre outward.
- Cut the baklava diagonally to diamond shapes. Brush the top with ghee.
- Bake the baklava in the oven for about 30 to 45mins, until golden and crisp. Rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Pour the cooled syrup immediately over cut lines, leaving about 2 tablespoons to drizzle over the surface.
- Cool to room temperature, and garnish with pistachios before serving.